Sunday, September 24, 2006

Some observations & my stealthy mom

I have to admit my dental habits have improved tremendously because of Invisalign. I brush 3x a day, and floss twice.

I have not always been a good caretaker of my teeth and gums, though, and actually skipped going to the dentist for 9 years once. When I came back, my gums were in such poor shape (especially for my age), they had to do some major scaling and peel them back to get all the tartar buildup and whatnot from underneath there to give them a fighting chance. Thank goodness my gingivitis hadn't gotten too much worse.

Suffice it to say, gum bleeding wasn't a very big deal to me since I knew my dental habits were hardly there to speak of. However, I've noticed that, since the Invisalign, I've actually started to bleed even worse than before. I'm currently attributing it to the fact that my teeth are moving (hello?), but hope that's the only reason why. I do notice that it's heavier when I start new trays, which helps my hypothesis more, but I still found it curious that my bleeding is now worse when my brushing and flossing are better than they've ever been.

I started taking Calcium supplements because I had read on some message boards that it helps with rebuilding of bone after your teeth have moved so drastically in such a short amount of time. Even if it is an old wive's tale, it doesn't really hurt to get this supplement in me.

As a funny side story, my family went out to a Vietnamese restaurant today for lunch in honor of my mom's birthday. We take it for granted that we can speak in Vietnamese when we don't want the rest of the public to hear what we have to say. When we're in a Vietnamese setting, however (which isn't too often here in NJ), we sometimes forget that our "secret language" isn't so secret anymore.

Right before we got up to eat, I mouthed to my mom that I had to hit the ladies room to "take out my teeth." My brother was trying to figure out what I had said, and my mom, being the helpful little lady that she is, stated boldly in Vietnamese (the secret language), "She's going to the bathroom to take out her teeth!!!" The whole Vietnamese speaking restaurant turned to look at me.

Thanks, Mom! :)

2 comments:

Anne said...

Ok - let me be the first to say:

Am really enjoying your writing, Thy!

This whole aligner method still pretty much amazes me with what can be accomplished in such a seemingly short time - without metal or ceramic or wires! The treatment options have really advanced dramatically as more clinicians gain experience & benefits us all.

Was just wondering about the "filing" of your upper centrals - did it seem like a whole lot of enamel was being removed? It makes a dramatic difference all right! Any worries of being more supceptible to cavities because of that now?

I know studies have shown that's not the case & am interested in what your ortho had to say about that. I have some ridges on my uppers I'm thinking of asking about having them smoothed out at the end.

No attachments or IPR - wow! That is pretty amazing how simple the whole treatment can be. I've read about so many others that have experienced a myriad of problems - one after another so as to be an almost constant state. It's been quite the opposite so far for me.

If all keeps going as well as it has , I'll be one of Invisalign's biggest cheerleaders.

Nice talkin' to you, Thy ---
Anne

Thy said...

Thanks for your kind words on my writing, Anne. Many people who know me say I write exactly the way I speak, so it feels like they're having a conversation with me (albeit 1-sided).

Anyway, about the filing. My ortho actually didn't even say anything about cavities at all when it came to the filing. I honestly hadn't even thought about it, either. I'm assuming the risk is greater now because the surface isn't as smooth, making it a more habitable place for bacteria to gather and grow? Let me know how that concern was brought to your attention.

It also didn't seem like a significant about of enamel was being removed, either. My ortho joked about how I might feel that way, but after he was done and gave me a mirror, I didn't think anything other than, "Wow - that made such a big difference! Why didn't I ever do this before?"

I, too, have read about others with problem after problem after problem, and (knock on wood) I've had smooth sailing just like you have had. I think the others may have had orthos that, perhaps, weren't quite as diligent and/or experienced as ours have been. Of course, it could just be plum luck (or lack thereof) on the patients' part.

I'll join your cheerleading team if things continue on for me as well as they have been. :)

Good night for now...
Thy